Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Canadian International School Kunshan (CISK)

Phase 1 Site - Canadian International School (CISK)

One of the biggest, most recent changes I have made in my life was the decision to move to the Canadian International School Kunshan.  It was not an easy one, as I had to leave my fellow colleagues and a great a principal behind (and I'm not really Canadian, eh?).  But for me, it was a special chance to grow and a way to give back to my community.  Last year, in May of 2012, I signed on as the first foreign staff at CISK.

I started in a planning office on the West side of Kunshan.  I helped in reaching out to the community, finding innovative ways to market our specialized programs, and recruiting students.  Each morning, I walked across the lawn from my apartment, and through a beautifully gardened pathway, to our 9th floor office.

Since then, the scenery and my role in the school has changed.  In October of last year, all school staff moved in to our Phase 1 site.  Looking at it now, you'll never believe it was a strip mall.  We began with a small enrollment of one student, and now after one year, we have over 80 students educated within the carefully designed learning spaces of our school.

I currently teach a combined class of 1st and 2nd graders, and from time to time, help in the promotions of our school.  Since CISK opened its door last October, we have the first English library in the city to offer its students, we've introduced after school clubs, offer an international lunch menu, and have plans to expand.

We are expanding, as of this month.  Construction has already started on our Phase 2 site next to Duke University Kunshan.

In future posts, I hope to describe my experience teaching in an international school in hopes that you may find an interest in going abroad to help students all over the world.

Phase 1 - Planning

Phase 1 - Planning

Phase 1 - Planning

Summer 2012

Summer 2012

Summer 2013

Summer 2012

October 2012

October 2012

July 2012

July 2012

October 2012

October 2012

October 2012

October 2012

October 2012

October 2012

October 2012


3 comments:

Shopping in Kunshan

Parkson Mall Kunshan’s newest western-style mall opened last fall of 2011.  It is a mix of high fashion stores, including over 260 w...