Wednesday, February 22, 2012

International Spouse


The hardest part of being an international spouse is the fear of being jobless.

Well, maybe this isn't everyone's anxiety, as I am sure others have much better things to worry about.  You are probably thinking, geesh, can't you enjoy a little time off?  But if you know me, it's of no surprise that I would obsess over something, and that something was finding a job.


Let me explain...

Many wives and husbands who follow their significant others usually forfeit their careers back home to lead a new life working in a foreign land... if they can find work.  Typically, there are not many opportunities, especially in the field that you are educated.

I was not worried at first.  I am a certified teacher, and teachers are needed everywhere.  Where do you think all the expat children go?  I hardly think an expat family would send their child to a traditional Chinese school, right?

I was very fortunate to have the help of Chitrak's company, who scheduled all of my job interviews.  They even provided me with a driver and Chinese translator to all my potential job sites.  What could go wrong?  It was during June of 2011, when Chitrak was also having his final interviews with his company.  Schools were still looking for teachers, and I have many endorsements which allow me to teach a range of students.  I was certain to get a position somewhere.

But I quickly realized the schools where I interviewed were actually private after-school tutoring agencies in need of native English speakers.  Around China, there are many of these institutions, and they are in high need of foreigners to lead English classes.  This means, the requirements to teach are low, and so is the salary.

My heart shattered into a million pieces.  I had anticipated a hallway full of noisy kids shuffling to class, messy art stapled to bulletin boards strung down the walls of a long hallways, and the voices of stern teachers directing students back to work.

Instead, I entered a tiny lobby with a receptionist who led us to the second floor.  As I climbed the stairs, I passed by small, glass encased rooms that were big enough to hold no more than 4 people.  It was bare and dull, with only a table and whiteboard.  Business men and high school students walked around as if they were in between classes on a college campus.  Some where studying in sofas, with their feet propped up on the arm of their chair, while others were captivated with conversation and snacks.

In my mind, I told myself, you can do this.  It might be nice to have four students as opposed to 30, for once.  But the day continued, and things got worse.

They told me:
"Your schedule must be flexible.  You will be working most nights and weekends from 1-9pm.  We create a schedule for your a week ahead of time, so you know when you work.  We have a few shifts during the day, but they are very difficult to get, as most students and businessmen are at work."

I was almost sick at the thought of it.  I moved halfway around the world to see my husband when he gets off work.  I was not about to work in a tutoring agency that would hire any native English speaker off the street.  I am educated, and I want to see my husband!

I realize I must sound very cocky.  Please don't misinterpret my harsh words.  Can you imagine selling off all your valuables: your car, TVs, tables, and couches to live in a place where no one eats the same food, speaks the same language, or watches the same television shows?  Then to add to the frustration, throw in a job that takes away the only thing you hold dear, time spent with your family...  I just couldn't bear the thought of it.

My motivation kicked into hyper speed.

Shortly after Chitrak had been offered the job, I applied to private schools in the Kunshan area. No response. 

I reluctantly resigned my teaching position at Raymond Park Intermediate Academy, knowing it would be a while before I would teach in front of a real classroom again.  We moved to China.

The first few weeks, I stayed in our apartment and browsed the internet for jobs.  I studied maps of Kunshan and sulked in the fact that it was nearly the end of September, and with a month of school already underway, there was no chance at a teaching position at an international school.

There is a happy ending to this story.  I did get a job at an international school.  Although Chitrak had been working constantly once we arrived in China, I mustered up the courage to summon a taxi driver to take me around to local schools in the area.  It wasn't easy.  No one speaks English, nor do I Chinese.  I had no smart phone or translator to tell a taxi driver, Take me here...  I had no way of telling the taxi driver, Take me home.

I organized myself, having Chitrak print off a few of my resumes at work, I left for another job hunt.  

It was then that I stumbled upon Kunshan International School (http://www.ksis.org.cn/).  After a few interviews with the principal, Lisa Kan, I was hired on as an English teacher in their international program.  My job closely resembles that of a Spanish teacher in The States. 

Though the path to employment was difficult, it was worth the struggle.  Many spouses are not as lucky to obtain jobs similar to the ones they have back home.  Some work at tutoring agencies, while others happily become full-time mothers.  

I am happy to say I am now a proud working member of society at the Kunshan International School!

Pictures to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shopping in Kunshan

Parkson Mall Kunshan’s newest western-style mall opened last fall of 2011.  It is a mix of high fashion stores, including over 260 w...